Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Top post: Five Points Service Center:

One star for location and one star for friendly staff. Be warned: I recently had an unpleasant experience at Five Points Service Center (FPSC). I felt that I was deceived and I wanted to share my experience so that others may learn from my mistake. Long story short: be cautious letting Neil service your car without a written estimate and authorization (illegal per the NC Motor Vehicle Repair Act). In November 2023 I took my car in for routine inspection. I had never used FPSC and figured I would give them a chance since they are in the neighborhood. Christina, who worked in the front, was very friendly and agreed to see me as a drop-in since car inspections "take a few minutes." Unfortunately, I failed my inspection due to my check engine being light on, so Neil suggested a "diagnostic test" for $100. I agreed. The results of diagnostic test stated I needed a "more detailed" diagnostic test (an additional $379) which could be completed if I left the car for pickup later in the day. I agreed to have this as well. I returned later to pickup my car. First, the charge for the detailed diagnostic was $997 (~$600 more than agreed upon). I was shocked at the increase in price and I told Neil this was much more than agreed upon. I was not thrilled to be paying this much without even the repair! Neil voiced understanding and said "we can compensate you on the back end with repairs to help off-set this cost." Second, in the detailed diagnostic report, Neil recommended repairing 2 things: vacuum pump ($1608-1650), and the intake manifold gasket (~$1500 to disassemble with possibly more repairs required). He recommended the vacuum pump replacement first due to low vacuum pressure in the evaporative system. What's odd was that there was no diagnostic error code noted for this specific concern. I decided to go forward with the vacuum pump replacement. I dropped off my car for the repair, and upon pick up my bill was $2500! We had verbally agreed to $1600, so I again expressed frustration with the higher charge. I left the shop with my newly repaired car, frustrated but hopeful that my car was fixed. I barely drove 20 miles, before my check engine light turned back on. Beyond frustrated, I called back Neil and he asked I return for further "diagnostics at no charge." He mentioned it was likely the "oil pressure switches needed replacement." This entire interaction just didn't feel right. I instead took my car to an Audi service shop. The mechanic at this shop reviewed FPSC diagnostic report and charges. He stated that Neil didn't need to replace the vacuum pump as it wasn't faulty, the cost of the repair was overpriced, and the diagnostic report "didn't make sense." They determined that the check engine light was due to a cracked hose, that cost a total of $650 for diagnostics and repair. I thought about it at length and decided to call back Neil to follow up over the phone about my cost concerns and the discrepancies between the Audi mechanic's comments and what he recommended. Neil was very professional over the phone, stated he will not refund any money but asked I come back to his shop for further diagnostic testing and he will "off-set the cost on the next repair." Unfortunately at this point I no longer had faith or trust in him, so I decided not to return. Overall my experience at FPSC was really disappointing and has left a lasting impression that I will be much more cautious trusting local car repair shops in the future.͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏
 
Today's top posts
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Recommendations

 
 

In the News

 
 

Replies

 
 
 
 

For Sale & Free

 
 
 
 
 
This message is intended for gayraleighnc@gmail.com. Unsubscribe here. Nextdoor, 420 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 94102