Wednesday, April 20, 2022

So you want to be a photojournalist?

 
Plus, get the graphics just right on your next video; and peek at the Met Gala
 
shutterstock
IMAGES    FOOTAGE    MUSIC    BLOG
 
 
 
Wednesday, April 20, 2022
 
Laughing in the purple rain
 
Click here to subscribe to this newsletter >
 
Today I heard an unusual term applied to content: the gift economy. The idea was to try thinking of whatever you're making not as operating in service of the commodity economy, but rather as a gift extended to the world without expectation. I love that concept because it requires an immediate mindset of generosity, and a conviction that we live in a world of creative abundance. This is not to say that art should be free; of course, creators need to make money, and I would never devalue the energy, skill, and talent that goes into making something. Rather, I see the gift economy as it relates to content as a recognition of value beyond simple exchange, reaching into what makes something special -- worth beyond measure, as it were. My favorite marketing concept is that a rising tide lifts all boats, which to me is the opposite of a zero-sum situation; more makes more. By putting our creative output into the world in a spirit of generosity, we lift the boat for everyone. How would your work change if you put it through this filter?
 
Happy creating!
 
jen
 
Jennifer Braunschweiger
 
Senior Director of Content Marketing
 
 
 
 
 
DREAM IT
 
 
7 Tips for an Aspiring Photojournalist
 
One of my friends in college died covering the Iraq war as a freelance photographer. I remember him often, never more than when I'm looking at news photos, unimaginable devastation witnessed and recorded by an individual with a camera. If this is your calling (and I do believe it must be a calling), how do you start? Some tips for launching a career as a photojournalist.
 
Read more
 
 
 
 
 
 
MAKE IT
 
 
Loglines: Your Secret Weapon to Creating Compelling Visuals
 
The process of creating can be so solitary, and the process of selling can be so social. What if you went into your creative mode thinking from the start about how you might sell your creation? Kristina Libby gets into the details of using loglines to guide your process.
 
Read more
 
 
 
 
 
SELL IT
 
 
3 Video Tutorials Fundamental to Motion Graphic Design
 
And now your video needs graphics, and you don't want them to look like, um, mud. Three video (yessss) tutorials on how to get the graphics just right.
 
Read more
 
 
 
 
 
TALK ABOUT IT
 
 
The Evolution of the Met Gala
 
I've never been but I do dream about my what my outfit would be every year...but I digress! Shutterstock has amazing photos from the Met Gala over the years. Here's the backstory, and a glimpse at the guests. Enjoy!
 
Read more